Aircraft accident [NTSB 830]
In the event of an aircraft accident, the PIC is in command of the passengers, all crewmembers and the aircraft, until relieved by the Emergency Response Team. To the extent possible, the following procedures should be followed by all crewmembers:
- Notify Dispatch and ATC as soon as possible.
- The Flight Crew should deactivate the cockpit voice recorder.
- Move all persons away from the aircraft and provide first aid.
- Protect the area from trespassing and pilfering until the local authorities assume security responsibilities.
- Do not disturb, move, or remove wreckage, cargo, records, or recording mediums until the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) grants specific permission except as follows:
- To remove trapped or injured persons;
- To protect the aircraft or wreckage from further damage;
- To protect the public from injury.
- Do not make any statements to the press or public.
- While the crew is obligated to aid the NTSB in its investigation of an accident, crewmembers should not discuss the accident with the FAA or the NTSB while on medication which may impair the ability to think clearly.